Born in 1998, South Korean violinist Katherine Yoon began playing the violin at the age of six. Throughout her career, she has performed in concert halls all over the world giving both solo and chamber performances such as; Wigmore Hall, Konzerthaus Berlin, Cadogan Hall, BOZAR Brussels, Victoria Hall Singapore, Muziekgebouw Amsterdam, Musikverein Vienna and the Berlin Philharmonie. By the age of 9, Katherine won numerous awards including first prizes in the Haneum Competition, World Music News Competition and the Music Association of Korea Competition. After moving to England, Katherine was offered a scholarship to study at the Yehudi Menuhin School with Akiko Ono.
Katherine has given solo recitals and has made various festival appearances in over 25 different countries. Previously she was chosen as the concertmaster of the Santander Festival Orchestra in 2018 and the RCM Philharmonic Orchestra the following year. In May 2019, Katherine was invitedto perform in Windsor Castle to lead the RCM Chamber Orchestra conducted by John Wilson in the presence of His Royal Highness Prince of Wales. She performed with soloists such as Maxim Vengerov, Dame Sarah Connolly and Sir Thomas Allen.
Katherine has developed her musical personality through masterclasses with Maxim Vengerov, Mihaela Martin, Zakhar Bron, Pinchas Zukerman, András Keller, Alina Ibragimova and Eszter Haffner. Formed in May 2019, she is a founding member of the Kleio Quartet. Soon after, they were selected to participate in the Carl Nielsen Chamber Music Competition in October the same year. Her chamber music mentors include members of the Emerson, Doric, Endellion, Marmen, Sacconi, Fitzwilliam and the Tokyo Quartet.
Since 2017, she has been under the tutelage of Itzhak Rashkovsky at the Royal College of Music on a full scholarship. She is an Anne and Brian Wadsworth Scholar supported by the ISH Award. Katherine plays on a violin by Giuseppe Rocca, on loan to her by the RCM.
- Instrument: Violin
- Birthday: November 20th 1998
- Place of birth: South Korea
- First Prize Royal College of Music Violin Competition
- First Prize World Music News Competition
- First Prize Haneum Competition
- First Prize Goyangshi Music and Arts Competition
- First Prize Music Education News Competition
- First Prize Music Association of Korea Competition (Eumhyeop)
- First Prize Korea Art Development Music Concours (Yaejin)
- Second Prize Eumak Journal Competition
- Third Prize Korea Times Competition
- BMus with Honours at the Royal College of Music, London with Itzhak Rashkovsky
2011 – 2017:
- Yehudi Menuhin School, Surrey UK with Akiko Ono
2009 – 2010:
- Lessons with Tomotada Soh
2005 – 2008:
- Yewon Violin School