Amber started playing violin at the age of 5 as a pupil of Margaret Norris and later Natasha Boyarsky; in 2009 she joined the Royal Academy of Music’s Junior Department. As a student at Chetham’s School of Music 2014-16, she performed Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor with Chetham’s Sinfonia at Manchester Cathedral, and received the Catherine Perkins Chamber Music Prize. Between 2016 and 2019 Amber attended the Royal College of Music’s Junior Department. She currently studies violin privately under the tutelage of Maciej Rakowski. She participated in Mastercourses with Pavel Vernikov, Maurizio Fuks (International Violin Mastercourse Kronberg Academy) and Kolja Blacher (Carl Flesch Akademie Baden-Baden).
Amber’s recent performances include Lalo’s Symphonie Espagnole with the Orchestra of the City, Sussex Concert Orchestra and Richmond Orchestra, as well as Paganini’s Violin Concerto No 2 with Reed’s Orchestra at Cadogan Hall, Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto with Worthing Philharmonic Orchestra and Dvorak’s Violin Concerto with Enfield Chamber Orchestra.
A passionate chamber musician, together with her duo partner cellist Willard Carter, Amber performed at Wigmore Hall in 2017 and again in 2018 as part of the Royal College of Music’s annual Young Artists’ showcase concert. She took part in ‘Mit Musik – Miteinander’ at Kronberg Academy in September 2018, and is a regular participant at ‘MusicWorks’ chamber music coaching where she has worked with mentors including Catherine Manson, James Boyd, Robert Max, David Rabinovich, Robin Michael and Alasdair Beatson.
During recent years, Amber’s musical activities have been supported by generous grants from a number of UK trusts and foundations. Amongst these are the National Youth Arts Trust, Kathleen Trust and Spoff’s Chamber Music Scholarships. She is a 2017, 2018 and 2019 Junior Scholarship recipient at the Hattori Foundation.
Amber plays on a violin by Matthew Taylor from 1806.
- Instrument: Violin
- Birthday: December 27th 2000
- Place of birth: United Kingdom
- 1st prize at the International Music Competition Hohenpriessnitz, Germany
- 1st prize in “Jugend Musiziert”
- Encouragement prize at Carl Flesh Akademie Masterclasses
- Finalist at the 12thInternational Competition “Arthur Grumiaux” for Young Violinists, Belgium
- 1st prize at Worthing Festival for Music, Concerto Competition in February 2019
- 2nd prize at X. International Competition for Violin and Viola “Szymon Goldberg” Meissen, Germany
- RCM JD Chamber Music Competition winner with duo partner Willard Carter (cello)
- Winner of Hastings International Concerto Competition
- Winner of Brighton Springboard Festival Concerto Competition
- 1st prize in the Concerto Competition at Ealing Festival
- St Cecilia Bequest for most promising performer under 18 at the Eastbourne Young Soloist competition
- Catherine Perkins Chamber Music Prize at Chetham’s School of Music
- Winner of Chetham’s School of Music Concerto Competition in January 2015, with an invitation to perform Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor with Chetham’s Sinfonia in October 2015
2010, 2011 and 2012:
- 1st prizes at Croydon Music Festival and at Kingston upon Thames Festival of the Performing Arts
- Royal College of Music’s Junior Department, London
- Chetham’s School of Music, Manchester
- Natasha Boyarsky
- Royal Academy of Music’s Junior Department, London
- Margaret Norris